25 Great Things to Do on a No Spend Weekend
Somedays your budget feels stretched to the limit when unexpected expenses and bills pop up. It may be a few more days to payday and your bank account is dry. Instead of just spending the weekend being a couch potato and binge-watching your favorite show, challenge yourself to find something fun and adventurous to do that won’t cost anything.
A no spend weekend can also be a great way to save some cash. You can take the money you were planning to spend and put it into your savings account. What a great way to start building an emergency fund!
Weekend spending can get out of control quickly, between activities with the kids’, dinner and a movie for date night, or just running errands and coming home with too many impulse purchases.
You may need to plan ahead so you can make sure you have food in the house, but it’s only for two days. You can survive! And you may be surprised at the creative things you’ll find to do.
To get you started, here are some great ideas for a fun weekend that won’t cost you a dime:
- Find a free music event to attend
- Go for a bike ride around the city
- Learn a new skill or take an online course
- Go for a hike
- De-clutter – clean out your attic and closets then sell your junk to turn it into a money-making weekend!
- Pack a picnic and go to a local park
- Try a new recipe
- Enjoy a free museum exhibit
- Create a piece of art
- Camp out in your backyard
- Drive to the beach
- Go fishing
- Organize the photos on your phone, laptop and cloud drive
- Paint a piece of furniture or try a new DIY project
- Volunteer at your local food bank or animal shelter
- Plan your budget for next month or the upcoming year/make a plan for reaching your next financial goal
- Take a trip to the library to check out great movies or books for free
- Start writing a book
- Re-decorate a room in your home using what you already have on hand (Find some inspiration on Pinterest!)
- Draw or paint
- Organize your kitchen cabinets or a storage closet
- Make lists – meal planning, back-to-school shopping, party planning, goals you want to meet
- Play board games with the family
- Find a new book to read
- Invite friends or family over for a potluck